Brief History Of Maj. Gen. Kerubino Kuanyin Bol

Major General Kerubino Kuanyin Bol was born in 1948 of Dinka parents in then Twic County, Bahr El Ghazal province in the west of South Sudan – along with many Africans of those times, his exact date of birth is not recalled – during the uncertain closing years of the Anglo-Egyptian condominium.

He was educated at a Roman Catholic mission primary school, and went on to intermediate studies. In 1955 he was among the battalion of southern soldiery mutinied, who formed the nucleus of the Anya-nyarebels in the First Sudanese Civil War, which continued until the south was granted regional autonomy under the Addis Ababa Agreement in 1972. Kerubino joined the Anya-nya and stayed on in the armed forces after the civil war ended in 1972.

Then as Khartoum failed to honor the Addis Abba Agreement, the dissatisfied, Kerubino who hold a senior rank and commander of Sudanese army in Bor led mutiny of the garrison of Bor in 1983.

Formation of SPLM/A

In June 1983 Colonel John Garang De Mobior, was sent to disable the mutineers but he the decided to join the mutiny  in the garrison of Bor, forming the SPLA in October 1983 under Kerubin. Kerubino Kuanyin the founding father of SPLA, was then a lieutenant-colonel in the army and in 1986 due to his low level of education decided to give the leadership to the now late John Garang De Mobior, and he assumed the role of deputy commander-in-chief of the SPLA and deputy chairman of the SPLM provisional executive committee. In 1987 he led a successful attack on several towns in Blue Nile province to the north of South Sudan.

He was ‘wrongly’ accused of a coup to again take over John Garang de Mabior’s leadership, he was arrested and spent six uncomfortable years in a necessarily itinerant guerrilla prison.

Early in 1995 Riek dismissed Kerubino and Commander William Nyuon Bany from his South Sudan Independence Movement (SSIM) on the basis that they had signed military and political agreements with the government of Sudan late in the previous year, and that they had attempted to form a government-supported faction in the SSIM. The Sudan government tried to make Kerubino a leader in his home province, but he was not successful in gaining support of the local Dinka, and members of his militia returned to their villages because he was already betrayed.

Death of Kerubino Kuanyin Bol

In January 1998 Kerubino’s forces briefly seized Wau, the main town in Bahr al Ghazal. From this strong position, he applied to rejoin the SPLA. He was accepted, but assigned to a headquarters position rather than a field appointment. In disgust, he returned to the Sudan Government and in 1999 joined the South Sudan United Army, a militia headed by Paulino Matip. That year Commander Peter Gadet fell out with Paulino Matip. During the struggles that followed Kerubino Kuanyin Bol was captured and killed in obscure circumstances on 10 September 1999, which was believed to an order. He left several wives and more than 20 children.