Salva Kiir Mayardit is his full name. He is a South Sudanese politician who has been President of South Sudan since its independence in 2011. Prior to independence, he was the First Vice President of Sudan, from 2005 to 2011.
Salva Kiir was born on 13th September 1951 in the Bahr-el-Ghazal region of northwestern South Sudan. He is of the Dinkan tribe, the largest in South Sudan.
Here are Quick Facts about Salva Kiir Mayardit
- He was given a cowboy hat in 2006 by the then United States president, George Bush. He is now hardly ever seen without his hat except in church.
- Due to war with Sudan that he participated throughout his young age, Salva Kiir has not got time to gain higher educational background apart from his military education.
- President Salva Kiir Mayardit has 7 other siblings from the 3 wives of his father Mayardit.
- He is homorous and highly respected in Africa for his wisdom and humanitarian to forgive others.
- Salva Kiir was awarded an honorary degree by ‘Great Lakes University of Kisumu’.
- He began as a low ranking officer with the military and gradually climbed the ladder to become the first Vice President of Sudan, and later the First president of South Sudan.
- Salva Kiir was born to a father who was a cattle herder.
- He is rarely seen on media not even social media in South Sudan.
- salva Kiir is a kind hearted president with forgiveness.
- He is outspoken and convincing, he is not quiet he is tough once tempered with.
Here are some of his quotes which are notable:
People should not judge me on what they hear. Let them wait and see me in action. Then they will see how I serve my people.
It is the responsibility of all the Sudanese, especially the political leaders and the media, to strengthen social cohesion through the proper understanding of the dynamics of unity, if they really want our country to remain united.
The duty of the media is to observe truth and social responsibility.